Re: Lost packets and dead/warntime

Subject: Re: Lost packets and dead/warntime
From: "Sebastian Vieira" <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 15:14:01 +0200
Hi again,

I've disabled the onboard NIC on both nodes and placed 2 new NICs: one 3Com
2000T and another Intel Gigabit card. So far (+/- one hour running) there's
not a single lost packet, which makes me very happy. The cards still run on
100Mbit but that'll change later this week. I don't think this will matter
much but since the cards support it, why not use it?

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions. I'll let it run for another week and if
the failover goes smooth too, i'll put it into production env.

Hmm .. as i'm composing this mail, i just noticed some lost packets on the
inactive (backup) node with the 3com card. I've set the keepalive value
(heartbeat) to 100ms. This is for Remote Desktop connections (Windows
Terminal Services). I don't suppose anyone has a similar setup and would
like to tell me what their value is?

kind regards,

Sebastian

On 9/5/06, Sebastian Vieira <sebvieira@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On 9/1/06, Michael Gale <michael.gale@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>         What nics are you using ?

For the heartbeat and sync daemons (eth2) i'm using the onboard nic from
the compaq proliant ml370.  The other 2 is a dual nic card from Intel. I'm
not sure which type, but it uses the e1000 driver.

Packet loss can some times be traced down to the type of network cards
> you are using. Server class network cards usually have larger buffers
> and therefor can handle more traffic.
>
> Are you using a server class card or a desktop adapter ?

Definately server.

Michael

Thanks,

Sebastian.