Re: LVS behaviour with no realservers available

Subject: Re: LVS behaviour with no realservers available
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 19 Sep 2006 09:59:51 +0900
On Fri, Sep 15, 2006 at 05:57:31AM -0700, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Fri, 15 Sep 2006, Nicholas Newberry wrote:
>
> >Thanks! Localnode looks like it might be what I'm looking for, as long
> >as I can ensure that the local node would only be chosen as a realserver
> >when no other realserver is available.
>
> you'll have to script it, to bring it up when the last realserver fails.
>
> You could give all the realservers a weight of 10^6 (or some high number) and
> give the localnode with the sorry page a weight of 1 and have it up all the
> time, but then (I think) you've got a 1:10^6 chance of a user hitting the
> sorry
> page when the regular realservers are running.
>
> Horms:
>
> can you have a low weighted localnode server than will never get
> accessed while the high weighted regular realservers are up?

No not really.

You can either remove the local node, or set its weight to 0,
in which case it won't get any connections, but you will need
to add it or set it weight to non-zero at the time when
you want it to do something.

You idea with a very high weight is interesting, though you still have
to confince LVS not to send packets to the realservers that
are down.

The basic tennant here is that managment like this is handled
by some add-on tool in user-space, rather than the LVS code in the
kernel.

--
Horms
  H: http://www.vergenet.net/~horms/