Geographically distant load balancing

Subject: Geographically distant load balancing
From: "Dan Brown" <danb@xxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 2007 12:24:30 -0600
I am looking at setting up a geographically separated set of directors to
perform failover with a pair of routers.  The routers are setup with a 128
IP block, and an 8 IP block on a different subnet. I am hoping (if I can get
my network provider to set it up this way), to setup the second router so it
services the same 128 IP block, but with a different 8 IP block on it.

So for example:
Router 1: ip: 216.94.145.1/216.94.150.1
          primary block:   216.94.145.0/28
          secondary block: 216.94.150.0/26

Router 2: ip: 216.94.156.1/216.94.150.1
          primary block:   216.94.150.156.0/28
          secondary block: 216.94.150.0/26

Can I do this?  I'd like to have access to the directors via the primary
blocks, and they would run failover on the secondary IP blocks.  The
director would sit in front of the router.  What other items would I have to
worry about?  Do I have to be physically on the same network segment for
this to work?

--------
Dan Brown
danb@xxxxxx