Well isn't this fan-damn-tastic. Turns out it wasn't our problem at all.
We noticed that things started picking up speed around 3. We all
assumed it was because I moved www to point to wwwdb1, thus bypassing
From our hosting provider, thePlanet.com:
After careful analysis of outbound throughput issues with various
providers The Planet engineers determined that a gradual route table
exhaustion was at the core of an increasing number of issues. It was
determined that to repair this issue an emergency reload of the router
dsr01.dllstx3 was required. At approximately 2:42pm CST we reloaded this
router. There was a brief period of packet loss as the redundant assumed
the load and at 2:51pm CST as the router re-converged. By 2:53pm CST all
traffic was forwarding normally.
aehm, (cough) ... monitoring ... (cough), nice, they've solved the issue.
Yeah, what kind of SLA do you have with this provider?
For some reason I feel necessary to apologize to the list for breaking
out the whip in my search for answers. Turns out it was outta my hand
from the beginning.
No problem. But I'd like to pick up on your test case again. If you want
to test bandwidth throughput and latency, your test (loading the picture
and heuristically calculating the time spent downloading and rendering
1. The size of the picture is too small regarding your network latency
2. The calculation is very sub-optimal
3. No statistically correct reproducible test possible
Thanks to all who offered help, most notably Joe, Graeme and Roberto.
You guys rock!
I always tell people, sleeping over a problem helps. I'm glad I went to
Roberto Nibali, ratz
'[q]sa[ln0=aln256%Pln256/snlbx]sb3135071790101768542287578439snlbxq' | dc