LVS DR increased "system CPU" and Excessive Network Traffic

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: LVS DR increased "system CPU" and Excessive Network Traffic
From: Iain Young <iain@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 Apr 2007 20:35:38 +0100
Hi Folks,

I've just installed a couple of machines with LVS on, using the
DR method. I also used the localnode feature, and started the
sync daemon as master on one, and backup on the other.

The nodes are functioning both as Director, and Real Servers,
and now, both machines are:

a) showing "System CPU" at around 20%, which vanishes if I kill
LVS.

b) Sending out an awful lot of LAN traffic (120,000 packets an
hour!), which I'm guessing is multicast [which is to be expected],
but surely it doesnt need *that* many packets! Again, it dissapears
when I shutdown LVS.

Curiously, even if I start LVS w/o running the master and backup
daemons, then I also still both effects. This is on Ubuntu Feisty,
kernel 2.6.20, ipvsadm 1.24

Anyone have any ideas if this is a) Normal, b) What I might have
missed, c) How to fix it ?

I could move the LAN traffic off to another interface, and a crossover
cable, but that really only moves the problem, and doesnt sort the
CPU system issue.

Best Regards

Iain