Re: Dead gateway detection

Subject: Re: Dead gateway detection
From: Joseph Mack NA3T <jmack@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 22 Apr 2007 16:17:50 -0700 (PDT)
On Mon, 23 Apr 2007, Peter Biggerstaff wrote:

ok.. so I do all that as above, and everything looks fine.. the cluster
works, the routes are in place..
so that works fine.. but then I have the problem I described below, the
Direcotrs fail over perfectly
but the realservers don't use the second director... I thought all that
routing in chapter 30 would mean
that in effect the realservers would have 2 default gateways, and would
use whichever it could?

Linux is not quite that smart, it will send some to one gateway and some to the other gateway.

You need a single default gw, in LVS called the DIP. It's a secondary IP and on failover, and like the VIP, it is moved (by a script) from the primary to the secondary director.