Re: Anouncement: ipvsman/d more than a GUI to IPVS

Subject: Re: Anouncement: ipvsman/d more than a GUI to IPVS
From: Manuel Arostegui Ramirez <manuel@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 28 Apr 2007 10:32:06 +0200
El Sábado, 28 de Abril de 2007 03:53, Dr. Volker Jaenisch escribió:
> Hello Linux LVS List!
>
> I'm proud to anounce the ipvsman/d program as a contribution to
> the LVS project.
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipvsman/
>
> ipvsman is a curses based GUI to the IPVS loadbalancer written in python.
> ipvsmand is a monitoring instance of ipvsman to achive the desired state
> of the loadbalancing as ldirectord does.
>
> Design goals:
> -----------------
> * model-view-controller paradigma:
>      - model : IPVS modul (does the loadbalancing)
>      - view : ipvsman GUI (shows the state of IPVS and ipvsmand)
>      - controller : ipvsmand Daemon (checks the availability of
> realservers and suspendes or resumes them)
>
> * robustness: ipvsman and ipvsmand were operating on the same (99%)
> datastructures. So they are "thinking"
> exactly the same way. ipvsman shares nothing with ipvsmand at runtime.
> ipvsman communicates with ipvsmand only
> on behalf of the admin over one unix signal kill -HUP. The GUI is not
> capable to do any harm to the daemon.
>
> Advantages:
> ----------------
> * Steer your ipvs-Cluster in realtime. View number of connections and
> connection per second for all your realservers.
> * Adjust weigth of realservers by simply pressing + or -
> * Assign/Remove realservers from services by choosing them from your
> easily defined  service topology
> * Define a service topology with one config-line:
> MyService:t:193.123.45.12:80
> ["Intel_web1-10:10.3.0.10+:8080","AMD_spare5+:10.4.6.24-28:80"] (-m -swrr)
>
> Defines a TCP service named "MyService" at Port 80
> using the real servers "Intel_web1", "Intel_web2",..,"Intel_web10" with
> IPs 10.3.0.10, 10.3.0.11, .., 10.3.0.21 at Port 8080
> and the realservers "AMD_spare5", "AMD_spare6",..,"AMD_spare9" at IPs
> 10.4.6.24 .. 10.4.6.24 at port 80. Using
> "-m" Masquerading as forwarding mechanism and "-swrr" weigthed round
> robin as sheduling strategy.
>
> * Chronology of your configuration files
> * Extendible plugin architecture
> * Debian Packages and python installer avaible
> * Is in use on portals like best-price.com with some 100.000 clicks per
> day. * Open source, Python License
> * Instant migration from ldirectord, can be used in parallel with
> ldirectord
>
> Disadvantages:
> * Still under development
> * Plugins currently only for http and DNS.
> * Not all topologies possible to define that are thinkable.
>
> Please give it a look at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/projects/ipvsman/
>
> and read the preliminary documentation at
>
> http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=50582&group_id=171517
>
> Steering a loadbalancer with a realtime GUI and a monitoring daemon in
> parallel
> is a very complex task -
> so if you have any questions or critic do not hessitate to ask me.
>
> Best regards
>
> Volker Jaenisch

Awesome!!
I'm a developer of the Pandora Free Monitoring System,
( http://pandora.sf.net ), and I'm currently developing some native modules
for PandoraFMS to keep monitorice LVS, most likely in bash.
This project will help me a lot and will give me some tricks, for sure :-)
I'll try to contribute to the ipvsman as much as I can :-)
Keep in touch
Best Regards

--
Manuel Arostegui Ramirez.