Re: IPVS hosting on the Internet

Subject: Re: IPVS hosting on the Internet
From: Malcolm <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 20:40:20 +0100
Torsten Schlabach wrote:

That will for sure distribute load. But if one of the DCs (or one of the servers) goes down, doesn't that mean that only every 2nd customer will see our site while every other customer will end up with a timeout?

No, most web clients accept multiple DNS records and try the second if the first fails.
This is always worth a read:
http://www.tenereillo.com/GSLBPageOfShame.htm

And on an aside I recently talked to a guy from the SalvationArmy who said they had been quoted $200,000 for a GSLB type solution from a vendor
and $100,000 for a hosted service from ultradns.com
Although it was for 8 locations rather than 2.

Regards,
Malcolm.