IPVS hosting on the Internet

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: IPVS hosting on the Internet
From: Torsten Schlabach <tschlabach@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 May 2007 15:51:44 +0200
Dear list!

Does anyone know of any provider which allows the hosting of IPVS at
reasonable prices?

Let me briefly explain what the problem is:

I understand that using IP Virtual Server I can set a a cluster of
machines that share on IP address and use some heartbeat mechanism to
negotiate on what pyhsical NIC that IP address will be at any given
point in time.

Now if we want to build a reliable service on the Internet (say a
website, for example) we can have one A record for www.oursite.net point
to one IP address only. So we would want that IP address to
transparently fail over between two data centers.

Of course we can put two (or more) servers into different data centers
but one IP will be routed to one physical destination, won't it?

So wouldn't it make sense for someone who owns a network infrastructure
to offer IPVS as a service and have the IP address point to whatever
real servers which I can configure?

I hope my question did become clear.

Regards,
Torsten