Re: [lvs-users] https connections

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] https connections
From: Dan Yocum <yocum@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 29 Oct 2007 09:13:59 -0500

Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
> On Thu, 25 Oct 2007, Joseph Mack NA3T wrote:
>
>> wonderful. People fall all over https on lvs and Graeme has
>> been rescuing everyone.
>
> I don't suppose you know if you can run two https sites with
> the same IP (like you can for http)?

It is possible to create a service certificate with a wildcard in the CN
string.  We've got a few of these at Fermi.  I think this would enable
the ability to get around the catch-22 of having to read the http
request header before the ssl handshake is completed - the handshake is
still completed before reading the header, but since you've got a
wildcard in the CN, it should succeed, then the server can read the
header and redirect appropriately.

So, yes, I think it can be done for a special use case where the servers
have the similar enough hostnames that a suitable certificate can be
generated.  I'll ask around to see if anyone here is doing that.

Cheers,
Dan

--
Dan Yocum