Re: [lvs-users] Windows fail over ARP issue

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Windows fail over ARP issue
From: Rob Nevins <rob@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Jan 2008 08:15:12 -0500
Robin Bonin wrote:
> I have seen many postings on an ARP issue, but I think the problem I
> am running into is something different.
> I have 2 windows server 2003 web server behind a lvm with a second for
> fail over.
>
> When the second load balancer takes over the first, the second server
> takes over the virtual IP addresses,
> but the windows server is still trying to route it's traffic through
> the first load balancer. (I can tell my running a trace route)
>
> If I clear the APR by calling arp -d *, it fixes the problem.
>
> Is this the same arp issue that I see tons of other post about?

I have to manually add arp entries for all my windows machines to my
linux machines, else I just see "arp who-has" all day long and
connections take forever.  I might as well switch from dns to
maintaining hosts file.

In rc.local I have to add entries like this:

arp -s host1.example.com 00:16:3e:00:00:94
arp -s host2.example.com 00:15:3f:00:10:04