[lvs-users] implement IPsec in a cluster

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lvs-users] implement IPsec in a cluster
From: "Gagandeep bajaj" <gagandeep_bajaj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 28 Feb 2008 06:37:01 -0000

Hello everybody .... this is my first post and i guess its gonna be a long one
to make you people understand my problem.
I am new to this cluster concept, but know about LVS and IPsec though.

Here is my problem :

Client
(40.x.x.x)                 Cluster ---> Director ( 50.x.x.x + 10.x.x.x)
                                        Real server1 (IPsec,10.x.x.x)
                                        Real server2 (IPsec,
                  10.x.x.x)

I am working on IMS P-CSCF, so will be having around 1 million IPsec
connections at one single time, and that too ESP and in transport mode. What
the requirement is to distribute these IPsec connections on real servers(high
end machines(8 core) till i guess may be 8).

What should be the configuration, and which one should i use--> LVS-NAT or
LVS-DR ...and

what kind of load balancing application i have to make on the director that all
the requests from one client IP address goes to the same real server.

What can i do for redundancy of IPsec connections that the client doesnt have
to reconnect, if one real server goes down ..??

As i dont have any previous experience with this, I dont have any idea, how
many real servers will i need, How much CPU they will take(encryption thing)
etc.

Please help me as i have been googling for more than a week for any pointers,
but everywhere it is a proprietary solution ...

TIA

Gagandeep Bajaj
Software Engineer
India