Re: [lvs-users] LVS 101

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] LVS 101
From: Michael Moody <michael@xxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 09:54:52 -0800
1. I typically always run my LB behind a hardware firewall (and the hardware
firewall allows me to create multiple networks on it's interface, i.e. 10.0.0.x
and 192.168.1.x

2. Personal preference really, but I find the best and easiest stack to be
heartbeat/ldirectord (using LVS-DR)

3. I (personal opinion) find it very advantageous to have an inactive director,
and I use the machine for minor duties when it's not the primary

4. Depending on what you need, we're using this successfully in one client's
infrastructure. They use php sessions, and even when a failover occurs (and you
can statefully sync the sessions using ipvsadm), users remain logged in, with
their shopping cart, etc. For scalability, I would not recommend placing
session data in mysql (though memcache is an option)

Welcome to the mailing list.

Michael S. Moody
Sr. Systems Engineer
Global Systems Consulting