Re: [lvs-users] Alias on lo blocks everything

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Alias on lo blocks everything
From: Sebastian Geib <sebastian.geib@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 2008 14:12:54 +0100
Hi Pieter,

Pieter Temmerman schrieb:
> A question regarding the sysctl parameters;
> Isn't it ok to only specify 'all' as I suppose it include ALL
> interfaces?
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_ignore = 1
> net.ipv4.conf.all.arp_announce = 2
>
> Not that I did this, but it's just bothering me :)
Actually the all means that the configuration of the arp_ignore and
arp_announce options in general is enabled. Afterwards you then specify
the options for the specific interfaces.

> Also, the property name isn't the most appropriate if you ask me.
> If you say conf.eth0.arp_ignore = 1, then I understand out of it that
> arp requests should be ignored on eth0. Which isn't really the case,
> they should only be ignored on the alias.
> Or am I totally wrong here.
Logically it appears to be like that but the 1 is not exactly an on/off
switch here. 1 means that the interface should only answer ARP requests
for IP addresses bound to that interface.

Sebastian