Re: [lvs-users] Multiple IPs and Heartbeat

Subject: Re: [lvs-users] Multiple IPs and Heartbeat
From: Graeme Fowler <graeme@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 08 Jan 2009 17:27:03 +0000
On Thu, 2009-01-08 at 11:56 -0500, Brandon Hilkert wrote:
<snip>

I cannot comment on the heartbeat bits, but I can on this...

> If I just use Ldirector and not heartbeat for failover, does this same idea
> hold true? Does IPVS mount those VIPs for you properly?

No, it does not. IPVS is a clever router, plain and simple. You need
something else to shift IP addresses from box to box, just as you need
ldirectord to monitor your servers and control IPVS based on the
results.

An alternative that you could consider for this task is keepalived,
which is an "all in one" package providing IPVS control, server
healthchecking and IP address failover all in one.

Graeme