Re: [lvs-users] net-snmp-lvs-module: stats fail under high load

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [lvs-users] net-snmp-lvs-module: stats fail under high load
From: Robin Bowes <robin-lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 2009 16:27:46 +0000
On 08/12/09 14:20, Graeme Fowler wrote:
> On Tue, 2009-12-08 at 12:49 +0000, Robin Bowes wrote:
>> No-one got any thoughts on this?
>
> I'd hazard a guess that the counters wrapped once (or more) inside your
> polling period. This is a common problem when collecting counter-type
> data which wraps.
>
> Not having any experience of the SNMP module, can you tell me:
>
> 1. Is the counter 32 or 64 bit?

Graeme,

Thanks for the reply.

Looking in the MIB, I see the following definitions:

LvsServiceEntry ::= SEQUENCE {
        lvsServiceNumber                INTEGER,
        lvsServiceSchedType             OCTET STRING,
        lvsServiceProto                 INTEGER,
        lvsServiceAddr                  IpAddress,
        lvsServicePort                  INTEGER,
        lvsServiceFWMark                INTEGER,
        lvsServicePersistTimeout        TimeInterval,
        lvsServiceNumDests              INTEGER,
        lvsServiceStatsConns            Counter32,
        lvsServiceStatsInPkts           Counter32,
        lvsServiceStatsOutPkts          Counter32,
        lvsServiceStatsInBytes          Counter64,
        lvsServiceStatsOutBytes         Counter64,
        lvsServiceRateCps               Gauge32,
        lvsServiceRateInPPS             Gauge32,
        lvsServiceRateOutPPS            Gauge32,
        lvsServiceRateInBPS             Gauge32,
        lvsServiceRateOutBPS            Gauge32
        }

So, looks like that might be the problem; lvsServiceStatsConns is 32-bit.

I wonder if it's as simple as changing ASN_COUNTER to ASN_COUNTER64 in
the appropriate place in lvs.c ?

> 2. What is your polling period?

I think I'm polling at 5 min intervales.

R.