Re: Patching 2.0.34 kernel

To: Victor Mendez <vmendez@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Patching 2.0.34 kernel
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 18 Nov 1998 17:18:59 +0800
At 21:11 98-11-16 -0500, you wrote:
>Hello Wensong,
> I received your message, thank you I will re-install the patch on the
server.
>Sorry I could not get back to you before I will try this on thursday this
week &
>let you know how it goes.
>
>Thank you again for your support. Thru the different documentation that I
have
>been going over the distribution of load of web servers. I noticed that a
lot of
>the work is done on distributing load requests for a single(1) site with one
>registered IP address and multiple internal IP addresses. What if you have
>multiple distinct URL's and one single public IP address ??? I think that
some
>kind of daemon process should exist on the machine doing the virtual server
>support, that is capabale of discriminate between the different URL requests
>coming on port 80 or (whatever port) and then routing them to the right
internal
>IP address server. Do you think that this is possible or have you heard
anything
>around this.

This can be done by Apache 1.3.3. Apache supports virtual hosts, many
hostnames are mapped to a single IP address. Apache's mod_rewrite and
mod_proxy module can rewrite URL requests to real servers based on
different hostnames, forward requests to the chosed server, get result and
return the result back to the client.

However, since it is done in application level, the processing overhead is
high, it needs to parse and rewrite URL requests, establish another TCP
connection to get the result from the chosen server and return it to the
client. The scalability of this method is not very good.

>I think that virtual server should be able to provide for this capability, it
>could be applied commercially.
>In any case that is my humble opinion.
>
>Thank you again, I contact you by the end of the week.

You are welcome, and good luck,

Wensong