New virtual server patch version 0.5

To: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: New virtual server patch version 0.5
Cc: alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Alan Cox), "Michael McLagan" <Michael.McLagan@xxxxxxxxx>, "Klaus Sachsenhauser" <klaus.sachsenhauser@xxxxxxxxx>, Simon Rainey <srainey@xxxxxxxxx>, "Jesus David Palau" <jdpalau@xxxxxxxxx>, linas@xxxxxxxxx, "Michael Rogerson" <"mike_rogerson"@granherne.com>, Wenzhuo Zhang <wenzhuo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 25 Nov 1998 21:36:53 +0800
ChangLog

Virtual Server Patch for Linux - Version 0.5 - November 25, 1998

Differences with virtual server patch version 0.4:

-  Add feature to enable IP tunneling on virtual server.
   If the ippfvs is enabled using IP tunneling, the load balancer
   chooses a real server from a cluster based on a scheduling algorithm,
   encapsules the packet and forwards it to the chosen server. All real
   servers are configured with "ifconfig tunl0 <Virtual IP Address> up".
   When the chosen server receives the encapsuled packet, it decapsules
   the packet, processes the request and returns the reply packets
   directly to the client without passing the load balancer. This can
   greatly increase the scalability of virtual server.
-  Fix a bug in the ip_portfw_del() for the weighted RR scheduling.
   The bug in version 0.4 is when the weighted round-robin scheduling
   is used, deleting the last rule for a virtual server will report
   "setsockopt failed: Invalid argument" warning, in fact the last
   rule is deleted but the gen_scheduling_seq() works on a null list
   and causes that warning.
-  Add and modify some description for virtual server options in
   the Linux kernel configuration help texts.

The IP tunneling feature can be used to build a very high-performance
virtual Internet server, extremely good to build a virtual proxy server.
I mean the load balancer can schedule over 50 servers or even 100, the load
balancer won't be the bottleneck of the system. :-) However, all
servers must have "IP Tunneling" protocol enabled, I just tested it on
Linux IP tunneling. If you make virtual server work on servers running
other OS with IP tunneling, please let me know, I will be glad to hear that.

As for how to apply the new IP tunneling feature for virtual server, a page
will be added to http://proxy.iinchina.net/~wensong/ippfvs/ in a few days.