Re: An idea

To: Robert Thomas <rob@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: An idea
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 22:53:23 +0800
At 21:30 98-12-9 +1100, Robert Thomas wrote:

>Good idea!  Also, getting a new release into freshmeat.net would get it a lot
>of publicity, too. A lot of people watch that hourly.

Sure, we should add this new version into freshmeat.net. :-)

>> The load balancer can automatically detect whether the real server is up or
>> down via the "Mon" software, then modify the virtual server rule table. The
>> load balancer has an backup server, the "heartbeat" code is used between
>> the load balancer and its backup server, when a fail is detected, the
>> "fake" is used to active the backup to work.
>
>Has this code been written?  I've got a spare weekend over christmas, I can
>code it up then if you want.  I've had a fair bit of experience with hi-av
>services, so I'm reasonably clued on how to make it work, and how to make it
>not suck!

"Mon" and "fake" are free software, they are available at
        http://consult.ml.org/~trockij/mon/
        http://linux.zipworld.com.au/fake/
We just need to integrate them. I have already written some virtual server
alerts for "Mon". This is my thoughts to add hi-av services in the virtual
server.

If you have your own idea to implement hi-av services, just do it in your
own way.

>I'll see what I can do this week about setting it up with tunneling. I
need to
>upgrade the kernels in the proxy servers, anyway - they're running versions
>from 2.0.31 to 2.0.35. I'll upgrade them all to 2.0.36 over the next
couple of
>days, and start playing with tunneling!

Please take care that the proxy servers have their own IP addresses, not
private IP address, and they all have the virtual IP address on the
tunneling devices.

In order to make clear the architecture, a figure is attached.

Wensong