Re: Linux Director benchmark result and Question.

To: mrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Linux Director benchmark result and Question.
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx, wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:59:48 +0200
On 1999-06-25T19:47:16,
   mrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx said:

> Some LB companys support the adaptive load balancing method.
> I have an idea whose scenario is following.
>
>  - The agent monitors load - CPU, memory, etc- in the real server
>  - and calculates the appropriate load value
>  - and reports the load to the Linux Director periodically
>  - then Linux Director's ipvsadm adjustes the weight value of WLC or WRR.
>
> What do you think about an "agent" method ?

I am actively working on it.

I will try to not require an additional agent on the clients though but to use
SNMP instead and also use the timings/values gathered during verifying that
the systems are still up and running.

It is not very hard, since it is mainly a userlevel task to compute a useful
metric which does adequately distribute the load. We'll probably need multiple
algorithms to fit the real world.

> The ipvsadm program doesn't well weight adjustment in the WLC...Why?
> Mm.., in the ipvsadm source, "mc.u.vs_user.wheght" value is constant ?

No. Thats actually required functionality for the dynamic loadbalancing. I
hope someone adds a "-m" command to ipvsadm to modify the weights, since I
don't feel qualified to hack the kernel source ;-)

Sincerely,
    Lars Marowsky-Brée

--
Lars Marowsky-Brée
Network Management

teuto.net Netzdienste GmbH - DPN Verbund-Partner