Re: Linux Director benchmark result and Question.

To: mrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Linux Director benchmark result and Question.
Cc: linux-virtualserver@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 23:38:06 +0800
Hi,

Thank you for sending me the benchmark result.

mrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Hi,
> Thanks your LVS program and and I have some questions about LVS.
>
> Question 1:
> -----------
> It is my Linux Director benchmark result. (using the ZD's WebBench 3.0)
> The result is 2 types; one is Requests/Sec. the other is Throughput
> (Bytes/sec.)
> The Linux Virtual Server is Very Good performance !!
> By the way, How do you verify the fact of load balancing of LVS ??
> I'd like to hear your comment about it.
> I want your bechmark test results or program or URL or any clues.

I don't have enough equipments. However, last september I did test a load
balancer
and two real servers in a 10Mbps network, with ZDLab's WebBench 1.3. I borrowed
5 PC from my classmates, which are used as web clients. I nearly achieved 1+1=2
performance. When the total performance reachs over 800KBytes/s, the 10Mbps
network becomes the bottleneck.

I think the good testing environment should have 100Mbps switched network.
However, I don't have it now.

> - Note : My experimental environment (text file) and benchmark
> result(MS-Excel files) are attached.
> - Homogeneous Server :
>    . Pentium2-300 ->1  Client
>    . Pentium2-300 ->30 Clients
>    . Round-Robin (40% increase)
>    . Least-Connection (60% increase !!) Pentium2-300 * 2EA

Would you please explain these numbers to me? just 60% increase?

> Question 2:
> -----------
> Some LB companys support the adaptive load balancing method.
> I have an idea whose scenario is following.
>
>  - The agent monitors load - CPU, memory, etc- in the real server
>  - and calculates the appropriate load value
>  - and reports the load to the Linux Director periodically
>  - then Linux Director's ipvsadm adjustes the weight value of WLC or WRR.
>
> What do you think about an "agent" method ?

We are going to implement it.

> Question 3:
> -----------
> The ipvsadm program doesn't well weight adjustment in the WLC...Why?
> Mm.., in the ipvsadm source, "mc.u.vs_user.wheght" value is constant ?

No, it isn't constant. It is server weight, you can adjust it.

>  Daeho Kim
>    job : full time student (BIT education center /Nerwork expert class(NX102))
>    address: 391-269 ,Daebang-dong ,Dongjak-goo, Seoul, Korea(ROK)
>    zipcode: 156-020
>    Celluler Phone : +82-011-343-1673
>    e-mail : mrds@xxxxxxxxxxxx

> client1 (203.248.108.7)    client2 (203.248.108.8)      controller
> (203.248.108.9)
>     |   (P2-300/ Win98)         |  (P-mmx166/ Win98)         |     (P-mmx200/
> WinNT)
>     |                           |                            |
>     +-------------------------+ | +--------------------------+
>                               | | |
>                               | | |
>                              =======
>                              H  U  B (5 ports)
>                              =======
>                          --------------
>                          Linux Director (eth0: 203.248.108.11  / eth1:
> 192.168.1.1)
>                               B O X     (P2-400/ Linux 2.2.9/ VS-0.4)
>                          --------------
>                              =======
>                              H  U  B (16 ports)
>                              =======
>                               | | |
>              +----------------+ | +------------------+
>              |                  |                    |
>              |                  |                    |
>         Real Server1            |              Real Server2
>         (192.168.1.4)           |              (192.168.1.2)
>         (P2-300/ Linux 2.0.36)  |              (SPARC4/ SunOS 5.5.1)
>         (Apache)                |               (Apache)
>                           Real Server3
>                           (192.168.1.5)
>                           (P2-300/ Linux 2.0.36)
>                           (Apache)

I think you should use more Win98 clients. The performance of
Win98 socket code is much lower than Linux and Solaris. A
Win98 client can never overload a Linux box for normal web
service. :)

Please try the ipvs-0.5, and test VS-Tunneling and VS-DRouting.
I will be happy to see the benchmarks.

Thanks,

Wensong