Re: Persistence & Cache clusters

To: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Persistence & Cache clusters
Cc: "Andreas J. Koenig" <andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: "Stephen D. WIlliams" <sdw@xxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Sep 1999 00:13:32 +0000
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

> On 1999-09-23T07:47:02,
>    andreas.koenig@xxxxxxxx (Andreas J. Koenig) said:
>
> >  > Right. But adding a netmask to the template entry would be a solution
> >  > which is quite simple and could be used to circumvent this problem.
> > Only if you *know* the netmask, but AFAI can see, there's no way to
> > determine it reliably.
>
> I would imagine that most cache clusters do not consist of more than 254 nodes
> and thus one most likely can solve this problem with using a /24 netmask or a
> /25 one.
>
> The T-Online cache cluster could even be "solved" using a /28 netmask.
>
> Can anyone add some data points how AOL/Compuserve do their proxies? Do the
> users come from the same proxy during a single session or if not, how big is
> the subnet their proxies are in?

While I worked at AOL (as a consultant) and know some internal details that
I can't discuss, I will just point out that any large proxy would be perfectly
standards (i.e. RFC) compliant even if it acted in the worst way with respect to
IP/Sessions...

I don't know for sure what is more common but it seems reasonable that multiple
IP addresses could be used for a number of reasons.  Not to mention my example
of
dial-on-demand NAT/dynamic IP settings where IP addresses change without a
proxy.

> > And as Stephen has pointed out, there are more
> > problematic cases than T-Onlone.
>
> I didn't disagree here at all.
>
> Sincerely,
>     Lars Marowsky-Brée
>
> --
> Lars Marowsky-Brée
> Network Management
>
> teuto.net Netzdienste GmbH

sdw

--
OptimaLogic - Finding Optimal Solutions     Web/Crypto/OO/Unix/Comm/Video/DBMS
sdw@xxxxxxx   Stephen D. Williams  Senior Consultant/Architect   http://sdw.st