Re: Volunteers for the webpage? (Re: Announce: Updated LVSHOWTO-2.2.13)

To: Michael Sparks <zathras@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Volunteers for the webpage? (Re: Announce: Updated LVSHOWTO-2.2.13)
Cc: Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxx>, Linux Virtual Servers Mailling List <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 23:57:17 +0800
Michael Sparks wrote:

> Whatever - I just presented it as an option :-)

Michael, you need to tell us if your friend is willing to help the LVS
website design and she may be probably willing to work with John too. I
don't want to make anyone unhappy on this.

> > That could initially be done using a simple Perl (or whatever) script
> > redirecting all requests from http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/ to the
> > respective mirror based on some lookup.
>
> This'd be excellent - I've always liked that sort of idea. (To an extent
> this is the idea behind what Akamai do, but in order to be on their
> machines you need to pay serious cash...)

I saw the net news that Akamai stock roars up in the Wall street. Just
for curiosity, I did a few test and found Akamai just used DNS-approach
to assign servers that may be close to the clients. It is now very
accurate in allocating servers, for example, a server assigned to a
client in Michigan is the same network to that assigned to client in
Changsha. Their technology isn't advanced. Anyway, they are first to get
the idea to build the network of over 1400 servers and lease the
service.

Wensong