Re: all about arp

To: nsr1@xxxxxxx
Subject: Re: all about arp
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 18:27:29 -0500 (EST)
On 20 Nov 1999 nsr1@xxxxxxx wrote:

I have  more info coming out in the next few days about arp'ing

> 1.If a real server nonarping,that means it can not reply arp,then can
> it actively to arp other MAC,such as the default gateway?If not ,how
> can it get the MAC of default gateway if it has no arp cache of the
> gateway ?

the realserverIP (RIP) has to arp to do the things you say. The virtualIP
(VIP) on the realserver does not arp.

(I had better fix the HOWTO to make that clearer)

> 2.If the real server can't reply arp, but can arp others.I know the
> patch will solve the below qustion . But in my mind if I chose a
> device such dummy or lo:0, it will not need any patch to the real
> server.Is it right?

realservers running 2.2.x kernels must be patched. realservers
running 2.0.36 kernels work without patching.

>   3.If I patch sdw_fullarpfix.patch

this is for the realservers only

>,I need not patch ipvs-0.8.3 first
> ,is it right?

this is for the director (upgrade to 2.2.13 and 0.9.4 to keep in sync with
the HOWTO)

Is the sdw_fullarpfix.patch fit for all arp.c of 2.2.x
> not only the 2.2.5 (as the patch indicates)

yes

> 4. I know sdw_fullarpfix.patch by read mails, but I do not find any
> document in the LVS website or the new HOWTO,maybe I am inattention of
> it.Sorry to ask that where the relative documents are?

It's in the latest HOWTO, which maybe hasn't made it to the website yet

        The patch is at

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/sdw_fullarpfix.patch

Joe

-- Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx