Re: High-Avail. using mon & pcc

To: Andres Reiner <areiner@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: High-Avail. using mon & pcc
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 09:55:44 +0800
Andres Reiner wrote:

> Hi
>
> I'm just running some tests using LVS (target is to have a linux box
> load balancing a cold fusion/website server farm (on nt machines).  If
> everything works out we will switch our productive environment onto this
> system (http://www.nextron.ch , http://www.bsonline.ch).

Good! :)

> Now I found some strange behaviour using 'mon' for the
> high-availability. If a server goes down it is correctly removed from
> the routing table. BUT if a client did a request prior to the server's
> failure, it will still be directed to the failed server afterwards. I
> guess this got something to do with the persistent connection setting
> (which is used for the cold fusion applications/session variables).
>
> In my understanding the LVS should, if a routing entry is deleted, no
> longer direct clients to the failed server even if the persistent
> connection setting is used.
>
> Is there some option I missed or is it a bug ?

No, you didn't miss anything and it is not a bug either. :)

In the current design of LVS, the connection won't be drastically
removed but silently drop the packet once the destination of the
connection is down, because monitering software may marks the server
temporary down when the server is too busy or the monitering software
makes some errors. When the server is up, then the connection continues.
If server is not up for a while, then the client will timeout. One thing
is gauranteed that no new connections will be assigned to a server when
it is down. When the client reestablishs the connection (e.g. press
reload/refresh in the browser), a new server will be assigned.

Wensong