Off-Topic: Patents

To: Wayne <wayne@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Off-Topic: Patents
Cc: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, Lars Marowsky-Bree <lmb@xxxxxxxxxx>, Skliarouk Peter <skliaroukp@xxxxxxxxxxx>, Markus Bernhardt <mbernhardt@xxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Benjamin Lee <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 30 Dec 1999 12:03:55 +1100 (EST)
1. Unis*s holds the patent on the RLE scheme used in GIFs not JPEGs.

2. It was a mistake by the US Patent Office that they were granted such a
patent; and the reason that they are now trying to make money from it is
that the patent runs out fairly soon.

3. Mathematical algorithms cannot be patented, but they can be copyrighted
(e.g. source code).

Therefore, there should not be any problem coding various LVS bits with
your intepretation of an algorithm (as long as the code is different).

Take all this with a fair size grain of salt. Obviously the law is very
malleable and that's why we have lawyers. So watch out regardless.

Ben