[lvs-users] VS-NAT on one net (was: IPVS Benchmarking)

To: Ray Bellis <rpb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lvs-users] VS-NAT on one net (was: IPVS Benchmarking)
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2000 18:02:52 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 10 Jan 2000, Ray Bellis wrote:

> FYI, we have our LVS system working now, with LVS redundancy achieved by
> running OSPF routing (gated) on the LVS-NAT servers and having the VIP
> within the same IP subnet as the RIPs so that IGP routing policies
> automatically determine which LVS router the packets arrive on.

Hi Ray,

        Just tried setting up a VS-NAT with the client/VIP/RIP on the same
net. The default gw of the realserver is the VIP. Redirects are turned off
(I hope, 3 of them in /proc/sys/net/ipv4/conf/eth0/*directs) on each of
the client,director and realserver.

A telnet request to the VIP watched by tcpdump shows the outgoing packet
being rewritten and a reply packet being generated (RIP->CIP), but no
reply VIP->CIP packet. Presumably the return packet is not going via the
director/VIP.

Traceroute from the realserver to the client shows 2 hops the first time I
try it. After that it's one hop only. To keep this as 2 hops do I have to
change any other switches besides the redirects?

I'm running 2.2.13-0.9.4 on the director

Thanks Joe

--
Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx