Re: LV-DR and Packet rewriting?

To: Jeremy Johnson <jjohnson@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LV-DR and Packet rewriting?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2000 07:53:39 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 3 Mar 2000, Jeremy Johnson wrote:

> packet comes in, router sends out an ARP for IP, LVS has the IP and
> responds, packet is sent to LVS which picks a RealServer and forwards the
> request to the realserver, realserver accepts packets from anywhere bound
> for anywhere and processes locally and sends response back to user

yes

> what I am not sure about is, would this work?

yes, VS-DR is the simplest setup when the realservers can be on
the same network as the director. Many people are doing this.

> I believe I read somewhere
> that this has worked,

yes

> and you don't need to deal with the ARP problem
> because each realserver does not have a special device setup with the LVS
> ip..

you _do_ have to handle the arp problem. One way is for each realserver to
have a non-arping device carrying the VIP, the same IP that the client
connects to on the director. There are other ways, see the HOWTO (Horm's
method is another but it's not in the HOWTO yet).

> also, as side question about how LVS handles a single client that uses
> multiple proxies... for instance aol, when an aol user attempts to connect
> to a website, each request can come from a different proxy so, how/if does
> LVS know that the request is from the same client and bind them to the same
> server?

if this is what aol does then each request will be independant and will
not neccessarily go to the same realserver. Previous discussions about aol
have assumed that everyone from aol was coming out of the same IP.
Currently this is handled by making the connection persistant and all
connections from aol will go to one realserver.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx