Re: random SYN-drop function

To: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: random SYN-drop function
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2000 15:27:39 +0800 (CST)

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000, Julian Anastasov wrote:

> > Independent sysctl variables are OK, and let users combine one that they
> > want. I haven't got good names for them, maybe we can simply use
> >
> >     ip_vs_dropentry         randomly drop entries from the table
>
>       0       -       never drop entries
>       1       -       mode is automatically changed (using amemthresh)
>
> >     ip_vs_droppacket        1/rate randomly drop packets without
> >                             passing
>
>       0       -       never drop packets
>       1       -       mode is automatically changed (using amemthresh)
>
> >     ip_vs_amemthresh        available memory threshold to guild
> >                             when to do dropentry and droppacket
>
>       Name for this?:
>       ip_vs_secure_tcp

It looks good for me.

>       0       -       use default state/timeout table
>       1       -       mode is automatically changed (using amemthresh)
>       2       -       we like it so much => always follow real
>                       servers TCP flags

Well, the delay to enter ES state (following servers TCP flags) only works
for VS/NAT. ;-)

>       The recommended settings:
>
>       ip_vs_dropentry         =1
>       ip_vs_droppacket        =1
>       ip_vs_secure_tcp        =2
>       ip_vs_amemthresh        =X(KB or MB?)

I use the nr_free_pages+page_cache_size+(buffermem>>PAGE_SHIFT to caculate
the available memory, which is in pages. For simple caculation, maybe we
can use pages as a measuring unit.

Thanks,

Wensong