Re: problems getting direct routing to work

To: Donald Ball <balld@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: problems getting direct routing to work
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 9 Apr 2000 15:21:06 -0700
On Sun, Apr 09, 2000 at 04:16:25PM -0400, Donald Ball wrote:
> Hi. I'm using LVS in the guise of piranha-0.4.12-1 on RedHat Linux 6.2.
> I've successfully gotten LVS working through NAT, hurrah, but I'm planning
> on hosting about 75 different web sites in my new LVS farm and I'd rather
> not have to maintain three seperate apache configuration files. I'm
> inclined to go with direct routing instead of NAT, but I cannot make it
> work. To make things easy, I'm working with two nodes.
>
> susan's public interface is 206.66.49.218, her private interface is
> 192.168.1.1.
>
> johnny's public interface is 206.66.49.219, his private interface is
> 92.168.1.2.
>
> the virtual ip address i want to put in the cloud is 206.66.49.220,
> nat-test.

Is the dafault route for the back-end server (johnny) through
the IPVS server (susan). While this is a requirement for
NAT to function correctly, I believe that the version of IPVS
that ships with RH6.2 does not support the router being the
default gateway using direct routing. The problem is that the
return packets from the back-end servers have a source address
of one of the IPVS server's interfaces so it is deemed to be
a spoof and is dropped.

Julian Anastasov was working on a fix to this problem but
I am not sure what the status on this is.

--
Horms