Communication between realservers and LVS

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Communication between realservers and LVS
From: Benjamin Lee <ben@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 2000 10:45:26 +1000 (EST)
I was just wondering how much, if any, communication there is between the
load balancer running LVS and the real servers? That is, other than the
directed traffic.

I think the LVS holds a list of the real servers. And I think heartbeat /
pulse type s/w has been used to manipulate this list. Is this correct?

I was wondering if this list could be expanded (if it isn't already used
for this) to hold the weighting of the real servers? ie. for the purposes
of load balancing scheduling algorithms.

I was thinking that a user space program could sit on each of the real
servers and then tell the LVS how much it *wants* another connection. This
*weight* value could be inserted into the list that holds the available
real servers, and could be incorporated into one of the existing
scheduling algorithms maybe. Obviously the overhead is a TCP connection
from the LVS box to each real server. But I think this is acceptable.

Any comments?

Sincerely,
Ben