Re: LVS in active/active mode

To: Pablo Alsina <palsina@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS in active/active mode
Cc: Linux Virtual Server <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Wensong Zhang <wensong@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 26 Apr 2000 08:53:21 +0800 (CST)

On Tue, 25 Apr 2000, Pablo Alsina wrote:

> Hi!
>       I just read the HOWTO and have been reading the list for I while,
> but I don't remember if an LVS configuration with 2 active directors at
> the same time is possible, maybe using DNS round robin to distribute

If you use round robin DNS to map the domain name to different IP
addresses of that two LVS boxes (e.g. VIP1 and VIP2), the LVS/TUN and
LVS/DR modes can work for two active LVS boxes (or more) with the same set
of real servers, but you need to configure your real server to handle
packet for VIP1 and VIP2 locally.

The LVS/NAT cannot do that.

> request among them. If one of the directors fail, the other would fake
> it's IP and take over both jobs.

For this primary/backup of the directores, you can try heartbeat or RedHat
piranha package.

Thanks,

Wensong