Re: lvs bottlekneck

To: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: lvs bottlekneck
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 15 May 2000 09:13:04 -0400
Horms wrote:

> > My guess would be the PCI bus would be the first limit to hit, when
> > saturating
> > the ethernets...
>
> I would have thought that you would have to have quite a few NIC -
> even if they are gigiablt - to saturate the PCI bus.

I forget the details, but the beowulf mailing list discusses this
sort of thing a lot. What I remember is that the tcp stack tops
out at about 400Mbps (on whatever hardware people were using about
a year ago) and Gbps networking has to use its own network layer.
As well PCI is only good for short bursts. It has relatively high
latency and does not handle long transfers well. For this reason
the AGP bus has replaced PCI for video.