Re: Infinetely scalable DR

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Infinetely scalable DR
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 23 May 2000 11:14:20 -0700
On Tue, May 23, 2000 at 04:16:33PM +0300, Julian Anastasov wrote:

>       Hello,
>
> On Tue, 23 May 2000, Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:
>
> > Good morning,
> >
> > during my presentation about LVS at SANE2000, an attendee brought up
> > the following suggestion:
> >
> > Apparently, TCP/IP allows for the server to reply with a _different_
> > source address then the one the SYN packet was send to, and establish
> > the connection to that adress instead.
> >

>       How is that possible. Is it explained in some rfc?
>
> > What this implies is the following:
> >
> > If DR is used to resend the first SYN packet to the real server A, and
> > A establishes the connection to the client with one of its own
> > addresses, the LVS is _not_ involved in any further communication
> > between the client and the real server.
> >
> > Advantages: - Infinetely scalable. The LVS only sees the first packet
> > of every connection, instead of every incoming packet.  - Desireable in
> > a failover setting. Since the LVS is only involved for establishing the
> > connection, no established connections die on failover of the LVS box.
> > - Implicitly solves the problem that the LVS box may not be in the
> > return path with a DR setup, since it no longer sees a packet comeing
> > from one of its locally bound addresses.

As an aside, this is analogous to the behaviour when the clients,
and real servers are on the ssmae network and LVS/DR is used thanks
to ICMP redirects.

> > This appears to be supported by most all TCP/IP implementations. Does
> > anyone know if this is true or not?
>
>       Looking in the kernel source I don't see such possibility.
> >
> > It appears to me, that if this IS true, and if it is supported by a
> > wide enough range of networking equipment, this would totally rule ;-)
> > I don't have my Stevens handy on the road though, so I can't check
> > myself right now.
> >
> > This would not even involve changing the DR code, but instead adding a
> > special kernel patch on the real servers, which had to reply with a
> > different address than the one the packet was send to.
>
>       I see the benefits. But I can't believe :) More info?

If it is possible, it would need to be an option (possibly the default)
as some applications require the return address to match the address
that the connection was requested for. Well, I have been lead
to believe that the Java security model requires this, but that is
another can of worms in itself which is probably best left unopened.

--
Horms