Re: splitting up a packet stream

To: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: splitting up a packet stream
From: Chris Anderson <chris.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 11:02:06 +1000
Joseph Mack wrote:

> On Thu, 27 Jul 2000, Chris Anderson wrote:
>
> > Is it possible to split up a stream of packets from a single source so
> > that they go to multiple real servers? No packet is (from this
> > particular source) dependent on any other packet at this stage of
> > processing, and it would be nice to not have to overload one poor
> > realserver while the rest sit around waiting for it to die from shock.
>
> What does "independant" mean? If they are from the same connection, they
> will go to the same realserver. Otherwise they will go to the different
> realservers according to your scheduling (rr, lc etc)

Without going into too much detail (NDAs and such), all the packets will
appear to come from one source. The data in each packet is actually
compressed data from multiple sources, and as such can be processed
individually on separate machines without having to rely on a single
machine getting all the packets from the one source.

So, I guess the question is, how do I go about sending stuff to the
realservers by splitiing it up at the packet level, rather than the
connection level?

Chris.
--
"This calls for a very special blend of psychology
 and extreme violence." -- Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"