Re: splitting up a packet stream

To: Chris Anderson <chris.anderson@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: splitting up a packet stream
Cc: LVS <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 2000 09:06:28 +0300 (EEST)
        Hello,

On Fri, 28 Jul 2000, Chris Anderson wrote:

> > > So, I guess the question is, how do I go about sending stuff to the
> > > realservers by splitiing it up at the packet level, rather than the
> > > connection level?
> >
> >         Good question! This is possible to implement. But be more
> > specific:
> >
> > - protocol (UDP)? LVS talks only TCP and UDP for now.
>
> TCP/IP

        We can't split one TCP connection to different real servers.
But many TCP connections from one host are scheduled to different
real servers. This is a default handling.

> > - why the restriction for only one source?
>
> That's covered by the NDAs  :-/   I wish I could say more, as it would
> help with my explanations.

        Forgive me but I don't know what means "NDA".

> Think of it as, oh, a proxy that delivers all of its connections to us.
>
> > - what compression?
>
> Stripped headers that we put back together at our end stuff like that.
>
> > - RFC?
>
> I'm not sure of any RFC that covers what we're doing; it's all bleeding
> edge from where I stand.
>
> > - more details and pictures
> >
> >         I see this as a service (and so an entry) flag. Of course,
> > if there is a good reason for such flag without raising other
> > problems. Scheduling on each UDP packet without creating entries?
> > Or one for each source? Any application that requires such feature?
>
> The incoming packet stream needs to be balanced among several real
> servers, which do their own processing on the data, and send it on

        Is the packet stream from one connection?

> elsewhere without any further intervention on the part of the director.
> Any return traffic is not related to the incoming connection, so storing
> info about the connection is not required (as best as I can figure out
> at this point). A scheduling system such as weighted least realserver
> load would be nice, too. (I'm seeing a lot of custom script writing here
> :-/ )

        I don't see a way to split one TCP connection to many.
You have to run a daemon on the director to work with the TCP data.

> Just as an aside: is it possible to change the weighting on the fly when
> using weighted whatever scheduling, without having to rewrite the config
> file and restart the director? Maybe based on realserver load or some
> other metric?

        Yes, this is possible. You need a tool that can dynamically
adjust the weights. This is a user space game. LVS don't care who
talks to him, ipvsadm, ...

> Cheers, Chris.
> --
> "This calls for a very special blend of psychology
>  and extreme violence." -- Vyvyan, "The Young Ones"

Regards

--
Julian Anastasov <uli@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>