Re: Problems with LVS

To: Nathan Polonski <Nathan.Polonski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: Problems with LVS
Cc: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:34:40 -0400

> I have setup a 5-node LVS cluster system using NAT.

> The only problem is that I cannot connect to hosts on the public network from
> hosts on the private network.

In VS-NAT the real-servers are on a private network. This really means private.
The only way for packets to get from the real-servers to
outside is to be de-NAT'ed by the director
according to the tables which set up the LVS. Services not under
the control of LVS can be routed normally.

> Of course, I figured that a kernel update might help fix the problem. That is
> when I updated the kernel on the routers to 2.2.16-3. That went off without a
> hitch. However, I found out that ipvs needs a kernel patch to run properly on
> 2.2.16.

ipvs is a kernel patch. Unfortunately RedHat has prepatched the kernel with
presumably an older version of ipvs. The main effect of this is to cause people
to come up on this list and ask why they can't get their LVS to work. Get a
clean
kernel from www.kernel.org and patch it.

> However, when I ran the patch and tried to compile the kernel, there were all
> kinds of errors. It seems like the patch does not apply itself properly.

> So, here's my question: Has anyone else run into similar difficulties?

almost everybody who uses RedHat.