Problems with LVS

To: "'lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Problems with LVS
From: Nathan Polonski <Nathan.Polonski@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2000 10:07:41 -0400

I'm having some troubles getting the Linux LVS stuff to work right. I'm hoping that some of you guru's out there can lend a hand......

I have setup a 5-node LVS cluster system using NAT.
I have a primary and backup router and 3 real servers.
All are running RedHat 6.2. The routers have been patched to the 2.2.16-3 kernel, however the ftpslaves remain at 2.2.14-5.

I installed everything in accordance with the HOWTO provided on RedHat's site, however I still do not have it up and running perfectly.

I got things to the point where the LVS router could see the slaves, and the slaves could ping the router.
I got it so that machines on the public network would see the VIP for the cluster and the slaves on the private network could see the aliased router VIP.

The only problem is that I cannot connect to hosts on the public network from hosts on the private network.

Of course, I figured that a kernel update might help fix the problem. That is when I updated the kernel on the routers to 2.2.16-3. That went off without a hitch. However, I found out that ipvs needs a kernel patch to run properly on 2.2.16.

However, when I ran the patch and tried to compile the kernel, there were all kinds of errors. It seems like the patch does not apply itself properly.

So, here's my question: Has anyone else run into similar difficulties? I'm relatively new at this Linux stuff, but I'm learning pretty fast. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I will forward any of the config files that are necessary. I just figured that this post was long enough as it is.

Thank you in advance,
Nate
Nathan Polonski
Network  Engineer