Re: LVS and NT realservers

To: Hendrik Thiel <thiel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: LVS and NT realservers
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 13:03:02 -0400
On Mon, Sep 18, 2000 at 12:36:52PM +0200, Hendrik Thiel wrote:
> Hi everybody,
>
> i want to build a high available, loadbalancing Cluster with NT
> realservers (not my fault). I figured out that only the NAT approach will
> work with NT.  I use the Ultramonkey Package and cant really figure out
> the differences of DR, NAT and Tunneling in their docs. Their topologies
> sections do not talk of one of these methods Are their examples all for
> NAT or is it kinda mixed up?  Is it possible to build a HA and lb Cluster
> with 2 LVS Boxes (heartbeat, ldirectord) and 6-10 NT realservers?
>
> I am at the beginning and really want to master the linux approach of
> Loadbalancing.  I am thankful for any kind of help, and if you think this
> thread is not worth to be on the mailing list, please email me directly.

Ultra Monkey doesn't make a clear distinction between LVS-NAT and LVS-DR,
the two LVS routing mechanisms that is uses. Rather the documentation
concentrates on the topologies that can be created.

In any case if you want a LVS-NAT setup, with high availability then you
should look at the Highly Available, Load Balanced Service.

http://ultramonkey.org/ultramonkey-1.0.1/topologies/topology-ha-lb-4.html

My understanding is that you _can_ use LVS-DR with NT as I believe that
you can assign multiple IP addresses to a single physical interface, though
I'm not entirely sure how to get around the ARP problem as described
on http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/

For reference a LVS-DR setup is described in the Ultra Monkey documentation
as a High Capacity, Highly Available, Load Balanced Service.

http://ultramonkey.org/ultramonkey-1.0.1/topologies/topology-ha-lb-5.html

--
Horms