Re: sending arp ...

To: ??? <conan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: sending arp ...
Cc: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack.joseph@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Sep 2000 10:25:31 -0400
??? wrote:

> Thank you for your explaination.
> I have another question.
>
> > 1. do nothing: the arp table for ethernet expires in about 90secs and
> > the router will broadcast the request "who has VIP tell router" and
> > the new director will reply.
>
> Is the arp request broadcasted and reached every machine in the network ?

yes (I assume your netmask/broadcast addresses are set properly on all machines)

> Isn't there any device, switching hub for example, that intercept that
> request ?

routers won't allow the request to be passed to another network, but this is not
your problem. As far as I know a switch should pass arp packets.

> I'm testing HA in an environment where two directors are under a switching
> hub.
> The arp table of the router seems to be never updated after IP takeover take
> place.
> (Here I didn't do send_arp)
> I couldn't connect to the VIP for more than an hour.

how does the entry for the first VIP get into router initially?

> Even though sending arp replies can be a solution, I wonder why the arp
> table
> didn't updated for so long a time.
> I suspected the switching hub to be the cause of this problem, but I have no
> idea.

I have no idea either.

random suggestions:
1. Is the router set to NOT accept arp updates (for security reasons say)
2. Can you connect the new director to the router directly (ie no switch)
and then try to ping the VIP from the router and then look at the router's
arp table. The swap the VIP to the first machine and see if the router's
arp table gets updated. Do it again with the switch in line.