Off Topic: Clustering linux servers, looking for consolidated RAID enclo

To: <redhat-list@xxxxxxxxxx>, <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Off Topic: Clustering linux servers, looking for consolidated RAID enclosures with multiple Ultra-160 interfaces
From: "Dan Browning" <danb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 18:25:46 -0700
Sorry for the off topic post:

I'm building a Linux cluster here soon.  I'm looking at storage options for
my database servers and web servers.  I *could* put 10-disk arrays in each
database server, but I'm looking for an option that would allow me to
consolidate all those disks and storage and have multiple Ultra-160
interfaces to those disks.

The benefit would be that all I have to buy is one ultra-160 controller for
each server, and connect it to the "main storage", and the main storage
would take care of doing the RAID-5 on 5, 10, or 20 discs.  To the server it
would just look like one big fast SCSI disk.

I've read into EMC, brocade, gadzoox, hitachi, etc. etc.   But all I find is
SAN stuff (fiber channel interfaces, etc.).  I would prefer Ultra-160 over
fiber channel because I don't need the distance of FC and I prefer the
stability of Ultra-160 SCSI card drivers and simplicity.

Does anyone have any pointers to information or resources that I could
research?

Dan Browning
Network & Database Administrator
Cyclone Computer Systems