routing issues

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: routing issues
From: Brad Benson <brad@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2000 14:01:59 -0400 (EDT)
I'm still having trouble accessing my real servers when the secondary
linuxdirector is active.  As long as the the primary director is up
everything is fine.  When the secondary director takes over, things start
to get weird.  Here's the behavior I'm seeing:

director1 active
----------------
routing table correct on director
real servers can ping any IP, inside or outside director
real servers have default route of 192.168.0.3, the internal ip of the
   primary director
all real servers accessible from client outside director

director2 active
---------------
director2 successfully takes over all IP's from director1, including
  192.168.0.3 (the default route for the real servers) and all IP's are
  pingable from outside the director
real servers can ping any IP inside the director (192.168.0.0/24)
real servers can ping any external IP's on director2, but nothing else on
   the external net
all real servers are accessible from the director, but not from outside
  clients

What am I missing here?  It looks like a routing issue.  I'm guessing that
for some reason the real servers can't get packets back to the client
which is why I can't make a connection to any of the real servers.  The
default route for all real servers is 192.168.0.3.  This route doesn't
change, but the director answering to that IP does.  Could this be causing
problems?

Brad Benson
brad@xxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.spinbox.com