Re: DR and real server on same physical host?

To: John Cronin <jsc3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: DR and real server on same physical host?
Cc: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Julian Anastasov <ja@xxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 2000 07:31:40 +0000 (GMT)
        Hello,

On Thu, 2 Nov 2000, John Cronin wrote:

> Somebody asked me if there is any way to have a real server and director
> share the same host.  It seems to me this would be impossible, since a
> NAT to the same host doesn't seem to make sense, and an ICMP redirect to
> the same host doesn't make sense.  I don't know about tunnelling, but
> that probably doesn't make any sense either.  But as I got to thinking
> about it, I started wondering if there was any way to do this using
> multiple interfaces and some kind of convoluted configuration.
>
> The rational is that a user has a service they want to failover, and they
> go to thinking that since they have two systems, maybe they could do some
> load balancing too.

        There is a local-node feature in LVS.

        Just add as real server a real IP configured in the director.
You can use any forwarding method, it is changed to "Local" from
the LVS. You can use 127.0.0.1 too. In fact, this IP is not used, the
packet is not changed and it is delivered locally with daddr=VIP which
is configured in the director. It is assumed that the real IP addresses
are not deleted, i.e. the real server type is changed to "Local" only
when the real server is added. LVS will not detect if you remove this
IP later from the director. Remember, it is not used from LVS.

        So, you can safely use 2 real hosts and LVS running in one
of them.

        Hey, there is so many documents in the LVS site, for example:

http://www.linuxvirtualserver.org/LocalNode.html

> --
> John Cronin

Regards