problems under "load"...

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: problems under "load"...
From: Laurent Lefoll <Laurent.Lefoll@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Nov 2000 20:26:41 +0100
Hi,

I installed LVS some weeks ago with to real servers (mail servers) and it works
properly but under some conditions, when the load increase I sometimes got a
"kernel: IP_MASQ: ip_masq_new(proto=UDP): could not get free masq entry
(free=36692)". The UDP entries are in my case the result of lots of DNS
queries.
What does it mean exactly ? Lack of memory or not enough "available" ports to
create new entries ? What does mean the "(free=xxxx)" in the error messages ?
I think I read somewhere that, by default, for LVS the first usable port is
61000 and that only 4096 simultaneous entries can be created. But it sounds
strange to me because from what I understand in some discussions, it seems to
be much more than that ! What am I misunderstanding and what should I tune ?

Regards,

Laurent Le Foll