lvs won't forward https

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: lvs won't forward https
From: "John Lukac" <johnl@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 2000 20:44:28 -0800
Hi,

try as I might, I can't figgure out what's going wrong.

LVS forwards http without a problem on my direct route setup (using the
ipchains redirect approach with vlans on cisco switch).
I'm using ldirectord + heartbeat from the linux-ha cvs to do the
configuration stuff for me; I used a mouse copy-paste, and changed the
proper ports and added the persistence for https (on port 443), ipvsadm
output on the director looks like this:
(replace EXT-IP with some routable ip address, done that way to protect
the innocent ;)

Prot LocalAddress:Port Scheduler Flags
  -> RemoteAddress:Port          Forward Weight ActiveConn InActConn
TCP  EXT-IP:https lc persistent 600
  -> 10.23.3.101:https           Route   1      0          0
TCP  EXT-IP:www lc
  -> 10.23.3.101:www             Route   1      6          0

This is a kernel I compiled today, 2.2.17.  my setup is a bit funny,
here's what ifconfig looks like (snipped for brevity's sake):
eth0      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:B7:BD:5C:5F
          inet addr:10.23.2.2  Bcast:10.23.2.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

eth0:0    Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:B7:BD:5C:5F
          inet addr:EXT-IP  Bcast:EXT-BCAST  Mask:255.255.255.248

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:D0:B7:C7:1D:32
          inet addr:10.23.3.2  Bcast:10.23.3.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

lo blah blah blah..

eth1 goes into my internal network (seperate vlan on a cisco switch,
made this really "neat" setup with the vlans and we bypass arp problems
and have completely minimized collisions.. but that's another story), to
where my real web servers are.

I ran
/usr/sbin/tcpdump -l -i eth0 tcp port 443
and
/usr/sbin/tcpdump -l -i eth1 tcp port 443

As soon as I point my browser (located outside this network, of course)
to the https://, tcpdump output on the director shows up on eth0, but
NOT on eth1.. which makes me believe this things ain't forwarding
traffic on 443 like it should.  There is NOTHING weird in the ldirectord
logs; in fact, it even tells me that it found 10.23.3.101:443 and that
it's removing the fallback server.  Imagine that.  Putting a temp
web-server on the director listening on 443 didn't work, either.  my
ipchains does allow 443 access, too.

Well, in reading through the list, I found someone was having a similar
problem, but with http (guy was running some cobalt stuff, if i remember
correctly) instead of https and his director would actually pick up the
tab.  No resolution was posted, and I'm stuck in the baffled state.  I
read through that HOWTO about a dozen times, concentrating on the https
section; but that only talks about the real server issues and not the
director issues (if there are any?).

Any ideas?  I bet it's something really stupid, some uber obvious
oversight.  Sheesh.  Please let me know!
Thanks,
John "Jano" Lukac