Re: reccomended NIC

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: reccomended NIC
From: Horms <horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 26 Dec 2000 15:17:28 -0500
On Tue, Dec 26, 2000 at 10:37:08AM -0800, Florin Andrei wrote:
> I did some research on the mailing list archive, but i
> was unable to find a match for this problem...
>
> I understand that system latency is a critical
> parameter for LVS. So, a fast network interface card
> (NIC) might be an advantage for the balancer box.
>
> What NICs do you reccomend for using in a LVS
> balancer, on Intel architecture?

I don't believe that anyone has done an extensive analysis of the
performance of different network cards with regards to LVS. In terms of
100Mb/s it would make sense to me that you are going to want a reasonable
quality card. Intel eepro, DEC tulip based and 3Com cards fall into this
category for better or for worse. I've done all my work with eepro crads
because that's what I can get my hands on.

In terms of 1000Mb/s I've been having good success with Netgear acenic
cards of late, but again thats because I can get my hands on them.

To be honest, I think that the bigest problem you are going to come up
against is bus speed. Some performace testing I've been privy to lately
indicates a big advantage in using PCI 64bit/66MHz over  32bit/33MHz,
though this only really comes into play with gigabit.

> Is there an FAQ for LVS? I think this question is a
> typical FAQ entry...

No, but there is a HOWTO and a mailing list archive.

--
Horms