Re: Connection refused

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: Connection refused
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 06:36:46 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 10 Jan 2001, Lorn Kay wrote:

> The load balancer (or Director) should be able to get to port 80
> on a Real Server as well, shouldn't they Joe?

no, this is a bit of a trap, see the HOWTO section

        12.2 BIG CAVEAT

        *Trap for the unwary*

        Mon runs on the director, but...

> Isn't this how health checks
> (at least in Piranha) are performed?

I don't know how Piranha works, but when mon watches the real-servers from
the director, it can't monitor port 80 on the VIP on the real-server. It
has to instead watch a service that tracks VIP:80. You setup the httpd on
the realserver to also listen to RIP:80. You hope that when the service on
VIP:80 dies that the service on RIP:80 dies at the same time. You don't
have to handle this explicitly for some services like telnet running
under inetd, as telnet is listening to all IPs.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx