Re: reccomended NIC

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: reccomended NIC
Cc: ratz@xxxxxx, elf_too@xxxxxxxxx, horms@xxxxxxxxxxxx
From: Joseph Mack <mack@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 2001 08:40:02 -0500 (EST)
On Tue, 2 Jan 2001, ratz wrote:

> > Is there an FAQ for LVS? I think this question is a
> > typical FAQ entry...
>
> I was going to suggest it to Joe.

we don't have any hard data yet. I can't imagine anyone crazy enough to
sit down with a bucket full of cards and a room full of mobos with
different chip sets and different kernels and find out the real story any
time real soon either. I would say that if your setup passes the netpipe
test, then you are done.

My performance tests show that the tcp race condition in 2.2.x has a
greater effect than the cards. I don;'t know if this is a problem in
2.4.x.

I also found that the Netgear cards didn't work on one particular set of
ancient hardware that the eepro100 did fine with. I don't think this is a
real indictment of the Netgear cards though as they work fine with other
mobos.

Joseph Mack mack@xxxxxxxxxxx