Re: ip_vs & NAT

To: "lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: ip_vs & NAT
From: "John P . Looney" <john@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2001 09:26:44 +0000
On Mon, Feb 26, 2001 at 09:52:04AM +0100, Roberto Nibali mentioned:
> Could you please next time send such outputs in readable form, e.g.
> numeric? ipvsadm -L -n and tcpdump -n are much more preferred then
> if I first have to run the mail through a sed to get it in a readable
> form. And if possible also all versions and configs (kernel, ipvsadm,
> forwarding method)

 Will do.

> As you can see, the counter in the active_conns is 1 and I bet it would
> stay there for quite a long time in your tests. This is typical for:
>
> o not handling the arp-problem properly
> o trying to connect to the VIP from one of the nodes inside the LVS-cluster
>
> You have to accept that due to the policy the packets get forwarded
> in a LVS-cluster you cannot, never ever, connect to the VIP from a
> node inside a LVS-cluster (normally defined as RS and LB itself).
> This is in the HOWTO but I can't find it right now ;)

 Smeg. And there is no way around this ? I can't setup separate IPs & the
like on the LB, and use direct routing for those, and masq for IP's used
outside the cluster ?

 I'm really really curious why this doesn't work. So curious, that if
someone could give me a good reason, I'd devote a lot of time to making it
work, if possible.

Kate

--
 When I say 'free', I mean 'free': free from bond, of chain or command:
to go where you will, even to Mordor, Saruman, if you desire. "