Experiencing problems with IPVS 0.2.5 / 2.4.2

To: lvs-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Experiencing problems with IPVS 0.2.5 / 2.4.2
From: Gargamel Jonez <robzr@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 16:02:22 -0600 (CST)
This is my first post to the list, I use ipvsadm for a staging/preproduction
environments at my work.  What a cool package!

I began using the FW Mark to create groupings for virtual servers, and I
noticed a problem with port translation.  Here's the environment:

Linux 2.4.2 / IPVS 0.2.5 / ipvsadm 1.15 / IPTables 1.2

First I made a IPTables entry:

iptables -t mangle -A PREROUTING -d 10.1.2.25 -p tcp --dport 443 -j MARK
--set-mark 25

then the corresponding ipvs entry:

ipvsadm -A -f 25 -p -s rr
ipvsadm -a -f 25 -r s11-vpn:448 -m
ipvsadm -a -f 25 -r s26-vpn:448 -m

As you can see it translates from port 448 <-> 443.  With persistance turned
off, it works exactly as expected.  With persistance on, it does not translate
the port - ie it hits the real servers on port 443 instead of 448.  There are
not conflicting rules BTW. Is this a bug or am I overlooking something?

The reason I am using 2.4.2/iptables/IPVS 0.2.5 BTW is because with ipchains
and ipvs-1.0.3 I could not use the DNAT target to ssh into my real servers.
I made a ipvsadm port 22 target (persistant) to them, but even when I set
the persistant timeout to an ungodly huge number the connections still timed
out and froze the ssh connection in a matter of minutes.

Rob